To be intentional means to act purposefully with a goal in mind and to have a plan for accomplishing it.
Intentional teachers set up experiences where they present information, model skills, and guide the learning toward a specific developmental standard or learning target.
BELLY BREATHING art: (teaching how to take deep breaths during a small group art project)
- Place a piece of paper in a tin cake pan.
- Squirt some paint on the paper.
- The student takes a deep breath in through their nose (pretending to smell a flower).
- The students blows out through their mouth and the straw blowing around the paint.
Social Studies: Sounds Around Us/ RULES FOR LISTENING
- After completing a lesson on how to sit at circle time- body calm by having a quiet voice, listening ears and eyes that are watching:
- Take children on a listening walk
- During the walk, cue children by saying, “Body Calm.”
- Students stop and hug their bodies.
- Point to your lips, the corner of your eye and cup your ears.
- Students remain quiet to listen.
- Call on a student to tell you what he/she hears.
- Ask, “Is it a noise made by people? A machine? Or an animal?”
Moving to the music/beat during gross motor/ HOW OUR BODIES FEEL with DIFFERENT EMOTIONS:
Following a lesson on how our bodies feel when we are feeling:
- Brainstorm ways our bodies would move to music that is sad (slow, 60bpm music such as Baroque), excited or worried (fast temp, lively), angry (hard beat) and ready to learn (classical, New Age or alphabet or number song)
- Play the different types of music in the gross motor room and move to the beat.
Nurture a Community of Kindness
KINDNESS CLASS PROJECT
When children give each other a compliment or perform an act of kindness, they can tie a ribbon, bead, or other objects on a heart, a dream catcher, or a big piece of cross fencing.
KINDNESS CHECK-OUT TICKET
At the end of the day have each student write or draw on a sticky note a compliment to another student. You can have the students give any compliment or have them focus on the specific social skill being taught that week.
The students can also share the compliment of another student during an end-of-the-day class meeting.